Thursday, February 22, 2018

The Marriage Lie

Title: The Marriage Lie

Author: Kimberly Belle

Narrator: Johanna Parker

Publisher: Blackstone Audio, 2016

Format: 9 compact discs, 10 hours and 28 minutes

Genre: mystery, thriller

Obtained: library



Summary: The airline calls Iris to tell her that her husband has died in a plane crash.  The plane was headed for Seattle, but Will was not supposed to be on that plane.  He was going to Orlando for a conference.  What other lies has he told?

Thoughts: I started listening to this audio book on a car ride with my husband.  The relationship between Iris and Will described at the beginning of the book was so over the top, we were laughing.  After that first scene, however, the mystery and suspense kicked in and I really got into the book.  It had surprises, twists and turns, kept me guessing, and I really wanted to know about Will's past and what was going to happen next.  I looked forward to listening to this book each day. I, personally, did not like the way it ended, but it was unexpected to me.

The characters had depth and came alive to a point, but sometimes were not believable. I could picture the characters and the story unfolding in my mind.  The author's writing style was organized, but repetitive.  This author can write suspense, but other aspects of her writing need to be tightened up a bit.  The book was wordy and overly descriptive at times, but moved along at a fast pace, which made for nice a balance.

At the beginning of the book, I didn't particularly care for the narrator, but this could have had to do with what she was reading.  As the story moved along, I got used to her voice.  She spoke very clearly and read with emotion.  It did annoy me that Iris' s southern accent would come and go.

If you can get through the first scene, the rest of the book is an amusing, suspenseful story.   It is far from believable, but it is fiction.





                                                                  




Company: Adagio Teas

Tea: Ceylon Sonata Cold Brew

Obtained: free sample with purchase







I received a sample of Ceylon Sonata Cold Brew tea from Adagio Teas with my last order.  I had never tried their iced tea and was looking forward to it.  When I opened the bag, there was a large tea bag inside.  The tea bag contained long, thin, black leaves that had a sweet earthy scent.  I placed the tea bag in one quart (four cups of water) and left this to brew overnight.  The next day, I removed the tea bag and poured myself a glass over ice.  The tea was a dark orange brown and had a strong, rich, smooth flavor.  This glass of iced tea was exactly what I think of when I think of iced tea.  It was crisp, clean, refreshing, and had plenty of flavor even after the ice began to melt.  I just loved this iced tea.  Not only was it easy to brew, but it made the perfect glass of traditional iced tea with no measuring. Adagio Teas suggests steeping the bag in hot water for five minutes and then adding ice for quicker preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment