Friday, May 19, 2017

The Quantum Ghost

51Tkcf+ZT6L._SY400_.jpg (265×400)Title: The Quantum Ghost

Author: Jonathan Ballagh

Publisher: 2017 by Jonathan Ballagh (self-published)

Genre: science fiction, fantasy, young adult

Pages: 200

Obtained: from author in return for an honest review










Summary: Remi Cobb sees a glowing dome floating in the pond in her backyard.  A robotic hand reaches up and pulls the dome underwater.  This discovery is the beginning of a technological adventure that brings Remi into alternate realities.

Thoughts:  I read The Quantum Door by Jonathan Ballagh in November and really enjoyed it.  The Quantum Ghost is the next book in the Quantum Series and it is just as good, if not better, than the first.  The author uses the same straight forward, organized writing style.  The pace and flow are excellent.  Even though the book involves science and technology, the writer makes it easy to understand.
     This is a story that feels fresh.  I have not read anything quite like it in the past.  The author brings the unique worlds he has created to life and the reader can picture the settings, technology, and races easily.  Although the focus is on the adventure and mission, and moves along steadily, the characters are developed and likeable (except of course the evil ones).  My favorite part is the strong ending, which provides closure to the story, but lets the reader know the adventures will continue.
     The books in this series do not have to be read in order.  The Quantum Ghost can definitely be read as a stand alone.  Some of the characters are the same, but each book is a separate story with different protagonists.
     I did not mention this in my review of The Quantum Door, but the illustrations by Ben J. Adams in both stories were awesome and really added to the book.  Just look at the fantastic covers!
    I recommend this book to anyone 12 and over.  My son had such a hard time finding books he wanted to read when he was in 5th-8th grade.  These would have been perfect.


                                                                      



Company: Teema Tea

Tea: Lemongrass Black

Obtained: purchased







     Lemongrass Black was the last tea for me to sample in the Discovery Gift Pack from Teema Teas.  I cut the pre-measured bag (for 12 ounces of water) open and put the leaves in my teapot.  The leaves were a beautiful mix of all shapes and sizes of black tea leaves and light brown, almost yellow curls.  The leaves had a lemon scent.  I poured  12 ounces of water that had been boiled over the leaves and let this brew for 4 minutes.  The liquid was a yellowish- brown color and had a lemon scent mixed with another scent that I discovered in another Teema Tea blend Ginger- Lemongrass. The only way I can describe the scent is corn oil.  Since lemongrass was in both of these teas, I am assuming it comes from the lemongrass, although I have had lemongrass teas from other companies and the leaves did not have this scent or taste.  The tea had a nice lemon taste- not too strong, not too weak, but the texture was a bit thicker than water and I could perceive that corn oil taste in the background which I did not like.  This tea was not for me.
     I cannot recommend the Discovery Gift Pack by Teema Teas.  Although the Moringa Green was really good, and the Jasmine Green was good, I did not care for either the Immortality nor the Lemongrass Black.  Also, four samples for $14 was a bit much, especially since all four teas were not absolutely delicious. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment