Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The Haunting of Hill House

Title: The Haunting of Hill House

Author: Shirley Jackson

Narrator: Bernadette Dunne

Publisher: Blackstone Audio, 2010 (story originally published in 1959)

Format: 6 compact discs, 7 hours and 27 minutes

Genre: fiction, horror

Obtained: library



Synopsis: Dr. Montague invites two women that have had supernatural experiences to be his guests for the summer at a house that is said to be haunted.  Also joining them is the heir to the house.  The doctor's goal is to find scientific evidence of the supernatural.

Thoughts: I loved the author's writing style, especially how she described Hill House, and how she conveyed mood and atmosphere.  The way she introduced the remarkable characters before they even got to the house, then the way she slowly built tension and suspense when they arrived, and finally how she wrote the ending was all superb.  Many times I have not been truly satisfied with the ending to a horror story, but I was with this one.

The narrator did an excellent job telling this story.  Her reading was easy to follow and held my attention throughout the book.  I was never lost or confused.

I don't want to write much more about the story itself because it would spoil it. I recommend this book to anyone that loves a good writer and psychological horror stories with no blood and gore. 


                                                                     




Company: Plum Deluxe 

Tea: Vanilla Creme Herbal Tea

Obtained: sample with tea of the month club




Today I tried the Vanilla Creme Herbal Tea from Plum Deluxe.  I received this one a couple of months ago with my tea of the month club package.  I've been putting it off because vanilla and honeybush are not my favorites, and the ingredients of this tea are honeybush tea, calendula, and vanilla extract.  Honeybush is too sweet for me and I don't usually like vanilla unless it is blended with another flavor.

The tiny brown and orange leaves were mixed with yellow flower petals.  The scent of the leaves was sweet vanilla.  I put 1 1/2 teaspoons of leaves in my teapot and poured 12 ounces of water that had been boiled over the leaves.  I let this steep for 3 minutes.  The dark orange liquid had a sweet vanilla scent.  The taste was also a very sweet vanilla.  For those that like vanilla and sweet tea, I'm sure this would make a wonderful dessert tea, especially along with a creamy dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment