Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Rogue Lawyer

Title: Rogue Lawyer

Author: John Grisham

Narrator: Mark Deakins

Publisher: Random House Audio, 2015

Genre: mystery, legal thriller

Format: 9 compact discs,  11 1/2 hours

Obtained: passed on from friend




Summary: Sebastian Rudd is a criminal defender who works out of his van and has one employee, who may also be his only friend.  In this book, the reader follows Rudd's life along with his cases.

Thoughts:  I really enjoyed the characters in this story, especially Sebastian Rudd.  If he was a real person, I don't think I would even like him, but I enjoyed reading about him.  The book itself was a collection of Rudd's cases with his life story intertwined.  I enjoyed this format which was quite different for John Grisham.  It kind of shook things up.  I also enjoyed learning about different aspects of the legal system through the various cases.

I like John Grisham's writing style, and although the format of this book was a bit different, the writing style remained the same.  He seems to write about complicated legal matters in a way that an individual not involved with the courts could understand.  He also has many things going on in the story at the same time, but writes so as not to confuse the reader.

The narrator portrayed the characters very well, and spoke clearly.  He told the story at a good pace.  The narrator and the story held my attention and I looked forward to listening to this book.

If you like legal thrillers and interesting characters- give this one a try.



                                                                   




Company: Davids Tea


Tea: Organic Cream of Earl Grey

Obtained: purchased





Today I tried the Organic Cream of Earl Grey from Davids Tea.  The ingredients were black tea, marigolds, cornflowers, and natural flavouring.  This tea has a high caffeine content.  The black tea leaves were long and thin and there were marigold petals mixed in with the tea leaves. They had a sweet scent, not of bergamot like I expected.  I didn't see any cornflower petals.  I put a little over a teaspoon of leaves into my tea ball and poured about 8 ounces of water that had been boiled over the leaves.  I let this steep for 3 minutes.  The dark orange liquid had a faint sweet scent.  The taste was a mixture of flavours. There was a taste of bold, rich black tea, and in the background was a bit of citrus and a bit of sweet vanilla.  I really liked this tea.  It was very different from other earl grey cream teas I have tried.  It wasn't quite as creamy and the background flavour was more of citrus than the usual bergamot taste.  I also liked that the black tea was so bold.  This was a wonderful blend that I really enjoyed on this cold winter day.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Interesting blog. I really enjoyed to read to. I always used to drink the Loose Earl Grey Tea Leaves
    in the evening.


    ReplyDelete