Saturday, October 28, 2017

Interview with Glen Ebisch

Glen Ebisch has been a professor of philosophy for over thirty years. Recently he retired from full-time teaching at a small university in western Massachusetts.  For many of those thirty years he has also written mysteries, starting with books for young adults and moving on to writing for adults.  All are cozy in nature and suitable for any reader.  

Glen lives in western Massachusetts with his wife. His hobbies include reading (of course) and going to the gym. He and his wife also look forward to traveling to Maine and Cape May, New Jersey for their needed dose of the beach.

I recently read and reviewed The Accident, a simple, entertaining mystery written by Glen.  I like to learn about authors after I read their books and link this information to my reviews.  When I looked at Glen’s website, I was surprised to see all the books he has published, and I have to say the illustrations on the covers and titles of the books were calling to me to read.  I was very happy that Glen agreed to do an author interview with me because I really wanted to know more after checking out his website.

51vrl+vOAkL._SY445_QL70_.jpg (279×445)ME: How many books have you published?  Which is your favorite? Why?

GLEN: I have had twenty-eight books published.  I have another one coming out this November and a second in the spring of 2018.  My favorite is always the one that hasn’t come out yet because I hope to continually improve.  The one coming out in the spring is also a departure for me because it is a young adult historical novel about Abigail Taylor, a seventeen-year-old who in 1841 goes to work as a servant in the home of Ralph Waldo Emerson and develops an infatuation with Henry David Thoreau.  Although Abigail is a fictional character, the other characters in the story are real, as are many of the events described.  Combining history with storytelling was an interesting experience, and I look forward to hearing how readers respond to it.

ME: As I was looking on your website at the books you have written, the titles and covers of your books intrigued me. Do you come up with your titles and book covers on your own?

GLEN: I'd say about 75% of the titles are my own and the remaining were suggested by the editor.  Many times I have a good idea of the title before I begin.  Once in awhile I reach the end of the story with a working title that I don’t like, then I struggle to come up with a better one.  I’m glad you like them. I’m not always so sure that they are very good.

All of my covers were designed by the publisher.  I don’t self-publish, so I depend on the publisher to come up with a good cover, although I usually have some say over which cover is chosen.  My hardcover presses, Avalon and Five Star, always did a fine job.  The smaller indies vary in the quality of the covers they devise.  But again, I’m glad you like them all.


ME: You studied political science/ government and philosophy in school.  Where did you learn to write mysteries?

GLEN: I have always enjoyed reading mysteries, so like most writers, I learned the craft by reading good books.  I also took a number of workshops both on the craft and business of writing in which I learned a great deal from those who had gone before me.

ME: I always find it interesting when a writer chooses to have a protagonist of the opposite sex of themselves.  You seem to do this in many of your books.  What made you choose to do this?

51RVXy1GkTL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (334×499)
GLEN: I don’t know that this was ever a conscious choice.  I often start a new book with an idea in my mind of an interesting character and develop the story from there.  Frequently, that character happens to be a young woman facing a lot of life decisions who suddenly has the added burden of being confronted with a crime.  I also think that for a long time I wanted to avoid having a main character that was too much like myself because I thought it would not be enough of a stretch to be interesting.  My book coming out in November, however, is about a retired professor who finds himself involved in a murder, so I am giving a protagonist who is more like myself a try.

ME: Where do you get your story ideas?

GLEN: I don’t know where the initial idea comes from.  As I mentioned, I start with the main character, and that is often someone who comes out of nowhere and speaks to me.  Once I have that, I rather meticulously outline a plot that will create a satisfying mystery.

ME: What is the biggest challenge you’ve faced as a writer?

GLEN: Like many writers, I tend to be a bit introverted and private, so marketing my books has been the hardest part for me.  I force myself to use social media and promote my books, but I always find it a challenge. It is very hard to get your books known in a very crowded marketplace.

ME: Are you working on another book?  Would you like to tell us about it?

GLEN: I am working on a sequel to A Body in My Office coming out in November. In it,  Charles Bentley, semi-retired professor of English at a college in the Berkshires of Massachusetts, gets involved in solving a murder when he finds the body of a murdered radical survivalist who was going to speak on campus.  It is tentatively called, Death of A Survivalist.

Thank you for this opportunity to talk about my writing.  I look forward to answering readers comments on my website contact page at www.glenebisch.com



   

No comments:

Post a Comment