Thursday, November 17, 2016

The Luckiest Girl Alive


71NO1wbtALL.jpg (1400×2132)

Author: Jessica Knoll

Narrator: Madeleine Maby

Publisher: Simon & Schuster, May 2015

Format: 10 cd's, 11 hours and 50 minutes

Genre: fiction

Obtained: library




Summary: Ani FaNelli seems to have it all- a fantastic job, a perfect and rich fiance, a great figure and beautiful clothes.  But is this who she is?  Is this what she really wants?  When Ani's tragic, shocking past meets her present, what will happen?

Thoughts:  I started out not liking this book very much.  It kept my attention, was well written, had good descriptions, and had some good humor in it.  But, it was all about the perfect life of a mean person and it was really getting old hearing about eating, losing weight, clothes, and sex.  The book seemed pretty shallow with no freshness to it.
     By the middle of the book I realized that my first impression was wrong. It was wanting to know what happened in Ani's past from the little hints that got me hooked and kept me reading.  The novel ended up being much deeper than I first thought.  Also, the main character was developed in an interesting way.  Furthermore, there are some really heavy issues that are dealt with lightly.  The story was told in a way that the reader hears it from the main character rather than living her life with her.  I think this was a good thing for this novel since it had some really disturbing content.  The way the author told the story made it a good read, not a depressing one.  The author knows how to tell a story in a unique way.  By the end I decided this was a really good book!
     The narrator was great.  She gave the characters distinct voices and was able to bring out both the men and women's personalities with her voice.  The problem I had with the audio version was that the tracks were very long. When I lost my place by pressing a wrong button on my mp3 player, or moving my cd from the car to the house, I had to listen for a long time to part of the book that I had already heard to get back to where I had left off.
     This would make a great book club book since there is lots to discuss.  There is so much to like and not like about the story, the way it was told, the characters, and how the author dealt with societal issues.



                                                                



Company: Perkse

Tea: Love Tea #8

Obtained: purchased









     I purchased the tea sampler from Perkse.  Although it took quite some time to arrive, I received 6 samples in brightly colored, good quality, resealable bags.  The tea was fresh and each tea that I have sampled so far has had a very strong scent compared to teas from other companies.
     Love Tea #8 is made up of long black tea leaves with dried flowers mixed throughout.  It has a VERY strong rose scent.
     I put 1 teaspoon of Love Tea #8 into my tea pot and poured 8 ounces of water that had been boiled over the leaves.  I let this steep for 3 minutes.  The liquid was an orange brown.  It had a strong rose scent.  When I tasted the tea, I was expecting an overpowering rose taste, but this is not what I got.  It was a nice blend of floral and black tea.  It reminded me of spring, not perfume, which is what I was expecting.  This tea is definitely for rose lovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment